Friday, January 30, 2009

I hate cars...

So, Silas and I really want to get into a new car. We like our car, but it's only 5 seats and it's getting old. The problem is, we owe way more on it than it's worth. On top of that, the cars that we would like cost way too much. This is my favorite right now...it's a 2006 Mercury Mountaineer.
There's one at a dealership in town and it is beautiful. The inside is roomy. It's a couple thousand more than what we'd like to spend plus we'd have to had a few thousand from our low trade in. What a vicous cycle. We don't know what to do. Do we wait and try to pay the car down while it continues to need repairs and depreciates every day or do we get another loan for more than our new car will be worth? We can't really afford monthly much more than we are already paying...AHHHHH!!

I wish I was rich.

6 comments:

Tina said...

Sell your first born...OR if that doesn't work, have Silas sell a kidney. :) My last idea would be to sell the "Gray Thunder," ha ha! It's got to be worth a few...hundred? Seriously though, we hope that you guys can find something that works. Tina and I (Josh) are trying to find a little something new as well. Not fun when you don't have money. We've been looking on craig's list and just get depressed when we see how much cars cost that we want. Anyways, good shopping!
Love sincerely,
Josh

Sarah Welsh said...

I wish I was a millionaire too - I want the new Dodge Caravan (silly cause I only have 2 kids I know - but it would be so nice to have a TV in the car for road trips - plus be able to take along some of their (or our) friends along)! Oh, to be rich! :)

Hoylelicious said...

Blah I hate cars, such a needed item. We are lookig at buying a new car as well - there are just to many options and things to consider in all aspect of buying a car. I like the one you picked out though its super nice!

Andy said...

Don't give into the temptation Robyn!! Cars are a cruel mistress! Might as well buy a car that is a few years older with decent milage and save the thousands of dollars. Older cars just don't lose the value as much as the newer ones.

Trevor said...

I tried to post just barely... don't know if it worked. Anyhow, right now is a great time to talk dealers down. I did some "bargaining" and got an average of $5000 off the first offer. I did make some really mad... but it's a buyers market. I say look at the Saturn Outlook. I almost bought one until I realized it had been thoroughly abused.

Trevor said...

In conclusion...
I say don't buy unless you get an incredible deal, and then check the undercarriage for off-roading scars...Brett knows all about those!