Friday, February 20, 2009

Crafty? Who me?

I am not so crafty, but there are some things that I have done and I am pretty proud of, so I am going to occasionally post some tutorials for the benefit of my lovely audience. (hehehe)

SO, in October we went to a pumpkin patch and we got a lot of pumpkins. A few were for decoration but two big ones were for consumption. The last few years I have become fond of pumpkin cookies and pumpkin rolls but those cans of pumpkin are so expensive, especially around the holidays, so I made my own from a pumpkin...image that.

Here you are...HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN PUMPKIN GUTS...

#1...Aquire a pumpkin. (We like cheap pumpkin patches.)

#2...Cut pumpkin into large chunks and spoon out any seeds and stringy stuff. Place on cookie sheet.

#3...Place in oven, cook at 325 for a while...until you can make an indent in the crust with your finger. I think it was at least 20 minutes if you only have one cookie sheet in at a time.

#4...Remove from oven. Place on clean dish cloth to cool.

#5...Once it's cool, cut off the crust. Then cut the pumpkin into piece small enough for your food processor or blender. Blend.


#6...Measure your pumpkin guts.


#7...Here is my load. It doesn't look as magnificent in the photo as it really was. I cooked 2 large pumpkins and got over 30 cups of pumpkin guts. You can keep this in your freezer for at least a year.

Next year I am going to can pumpkin. I wanted to do it this year, but found out that you can't can pumpkin guts but you CAN can pumpkin cubes.



6 comments:

Sarah Welsh said...

WOW! Awesome job!! My mother-in-law always did that, She suggested using "pie" pumpkins (they're usually smaller & not available at the regular pumpkin patches) she said they're sweeter & have more guts.

Christine said...

Sweet, I'll be on your doorstep the next time I need some pumpkin! ;)

I'm glad you shared that, I had no idea you could get that much from one pumpkin! I love pumpkin stuff too, the fave at our house is the pumpkin roll. Mmmmmmm.
I guess I should get me a food processor!

Selissa said...

You are crafty! Good job!

Jana said...

Wow....I hope you have LOTS of pumpkin recipes and REALLY love them!!

Zach and Shanna said...

Wow, that's pretty darn tricky! I'm very impressed!

Phogles said...

see, that is so cool, because just today I was at the store looking for canned pumpkin (upcoming pie party at Church...) and couldn't find ANYTHING! ANYWHERE. Apparently it's only a seasonal item around here. I am seriously WISHING I had been as smart as you and processed my own. This year, I will!