
So today I felt like doing some Emergency Preparedness. First, I needed to restock the car with spare clothing for the boys. I got some holey jeans, cheap flag shirts, underwear for the big boys and a bunch of diapers and wipes for Grant, and some sweaters. Yes, they all match but that wasn't really on purpose. They just never wear these sweaters that I got cheap at Old Navy so I figured it would be good to throw them in the car. Also in the car we have a good first aid kit, jumper cables, a pack of water bottles, a blanket, toilet paper, extra utensils (which I thought was silly but I have actually used them), an emergency radio/hand-crank flashlight, and some cash.

The other day I was at the health department and there were some
PLAN 9 pamphlets that I looked through. I have looked at A LOT of emergency preparedness information and this was very clean and clear. The first step is having one gallon of water person in your emergency kit. I have lots of water in my storage room, but not with the 72-hour kits stuff, so today (wish help from Cleod) I put 40, 1/2 Liter water bottles in a small suitcase with wheels. (That way it will be easier to transport if needed.) One gallon is like 3.78 Liters so we need 8 water bottles each.

I also organized my coat closet which is really our 72-hour kit closet which happens to store our coats. It's kind of hard to see, but there is a big black suitcase on the right which has clothing, toiletries, candles, propane, rope and more. (I am going to reorganize that soon.) On the left is the water suitcase and the light blue bag in front of that on the floor is the food part of the 72-hr kit which is incomplete at the moment. I took a bunch of stuff from it when we went to Colorado in September. On the shelf there are two backpacks with flashlights, batteries, an emergency radio, ponchos, crayons & paper, card games, wool socks and hand warmers.
I have been working on this for a long time and it is always on my mind. I feel relieved to have the first step from the Plan 9 pamphlet done. It was especially fun today because Cleod helped me the whole time. He's such a champ!
6 comments:
Come prepare us? :)
Wow...I'm impressed. I need to get working on ours!
You're amazing! That was inspirational to me. Our theme for November is "Be Prepared" and we're working on this. So I really appreciate the ideas!! Thank you!
Way to be prepared - youre so ambitious!
Good for you! Our coat closet is really the 72 hour kit closet too. We try to remember to restock at general conference in spring and fall. OOPs! I think we missed October!
That is a really good idea. It is difficult for me to think about right now when I am just in survival mode, but I'd love a little more info. could you post the pamphlet somehow?
Post a Comment