Tuesday, February 9, 2010

72 hour kit...STEP 2: Food

As I have said in a few previous posts, the Southwest Utah Public Health Department has a pamphlet that I picked up from the health department that's called PLAN 9. (Click HERE to see the pamplet.)

Plan 9 is a simple guide to nine essential items to help you shelter-in-place in the event of an emergency.

STEP 1 is WATER. (Click HERE to see my water post.)

STEP 2 is FOOD. I have looked at A LOT of 72 hour kit food lists. The one I like the most is from foodstoragemadeeasy.net.

Here is the list for ONE kit:
Tang, 2- 1/4 cup servings
Instant Oatmeal, 2 packets
Granola bars, 2
Cocoa mix, 2- 1/4 cup servings
Stew or pasta with "pop top" lid, 1 can
Gum, 10 sticks
Jolley ranchers, 9 pieces
Beanie Weenies with "pop top" lid, 1 can
Fruit roll-ups, 3
Lipton Noodles, 2 packets
Raisins, 1 small box
Beef Jerky, 2- 1 oz packages
Plastic spoons, 3
Matches, 1 small package
Zip locks for tang and cocoa
It also calls for some kind of small stove. We have a one burner, propane stove that is small and is in the other part of our 72 hr kit.

Here's what I have today:


It's not everything, I have to admit, but it's more than half and I am working on the rest.

STEP 3 is CLOTHING. (Click HERE to see my post on step 3.)

Remember, it's better to have SOMETHING prepared than nothing. I love this program because it is really simple. Happy preparing!

3 comments:

Zach and Shanna said...

We just finished our 72 hour kits. I'm kinda weird though and I didn't do much that you have to "add water to" in case of a water shortage. (we do have many of the big blue containers in our basement, but if we can't be at our home, who knows.) Anyway, thanks for all your good ideas!!! I really appreciate it!

Unknown said...

Your sister came up with a cool quote a couple of weeks ago in Church when we were talking about at least doing a "lousy" job, it is better than not doing anything. Her quote is, "All or Something". I like that. And you are getting a great start so you are doing a better than "Lousy" job and you are doing "Something"! Mom

Beth said...

Wow Robyn, you amaze me! I feel kind of prepared, but I definitely need to do a lot better!! Thanks for all the great ideas!