So here it is...
As posted previously, we decided to induce a few days before my due date, and although it was weird to not go into labor and I may not do it again on purpose, IT WAS THE BEST LABOR EVER (for me)!!!
First of all, there was a lot of complications with getting someone to stay with my kids while we were at the hospital. Usually, my friend Deruchette watches my kids, but because of the holidays that didn't work out. So my mom was going to come up from Vegas but on Christmas day, my grandpa passed away so she was in St. George helping with funeral arrangements. (FYI: He was 91 and sick, so it was a good thing.) My awesome brother RJ and his family are in Vegas for Christmas break, so they ended up coming to Cedar and staying with the boys. This was great because they have 6 kids and although it was crazy for the adults, the kids had a ball!
Secondly, I have LONG labors.
Cleod = 24 hours with 12 hours of hard labor and no meds.
Ryan = 20 hours with about 10 hours of hard labor and no meds.
Grant = 18 hours with 5 or 6 of hard labor and 1 1/2 with epirdual.
Silas and I went into the hospital around 4am (Dec. 27th) and after monitoring me and the baby, they started me on the cytotec. I was hoping to only have to have one dose, but ended up with two. After 6 hours I had only progressed from 1+ cm to 3cm. I was really discouraged, but looking back I realize that I basically slept through most of it and I wasn't in pain at all. So compared to my other labors, it was a breeze even getting to 3cm.
By 11am, Laurie (Certified Nurse Midwife) broke my water and told me to walk around for a few minutes. After about 30 minutes the contractions were picking up and then they started the pitocin. I wanted to labor for at least an hour before getting my epidural so that I would be in active labor and would keep progressing. Just before 1pm, my nurse came and checked me and I had was only dilated to 3+cm. I was a little frustrated even though the last two hours the contractions were only mildly painful. SHe asked if I wanted my epidural and I a little part of me was thinking, "Already? That makes me feel like a wimp," but most of me was like, "Yes, please!" With Grant's labor I went from a 4 to a 10 in less than 2 hours because of the epidural, something that took 8 or 10 hours to do on my own with my other labors, so I was hoping the same thing would happen this time.
Well, it wasn't less than 2 hours, but 3 hours after my epidural, I was complete! Yea! I was so relieved. The last hour before, Cora's heart rate was going down a little with contractions, something that has always happened with my babies, but I was way more worried this time. Also, my blood pressure kept dropping and I felt dizzy on and off, so I was happy that it was going to be over soon and I could finally have my baby!
At 4:20pm, Cora Lily Aitchison was born. I got to pull her out and hold her right away. I was way more emotional that I have ever been right after. I just kept thinking that she was mine and thanking Heavenly Father that she was really here and she was fine. She was purple which worried me, the the respitory guy was right there watching her and assuring me that she was fine. After a few minutes, he took her to the heat lamp to make her cry because she really hadn't yet but after probably 20 mintues or so, I had her again and she started nursing.
So Cora's labor was 11 hours long, with only 2 hours of mild contractions. PLUS, I didn't tear at all and hardly even bled. After delivering the after-birth, Laurie didn't have anything to do and just hung out for a minute to see how much she weighed. It was the best labor!
Recovery has been good too. I am tired and all that, but it feels like we're getting back to normal, sort of. Silas has been off of work all week which has been awesome, so next week when he's gone and Cleod's in school we will see how well we do.
Cora is an awesome baby. She has slept great at night, only waking up once to eat. Last night she ate at 9pm and didn't wake up until 4am to eat and then went back to sleep until 8am. She also hardly cries. Thursday she had gas so she was really sad, but once we got some gas drops, she's been fine. (That and I am burping her longer after she eats.)
I really am SO thankful that she's her. For months I have been worried and have shed a lot of tears worrying about her. I'm not positive why, but I think that I just couldn't imagine being so blessed to have 4 beautiful kids (and a girl!!!) when it seems like so many people around me having problems with pregnancies and things.
Anyway, there it is, for those of you who braved the long post. ;) I am sure that there will be some interesting days ahead...
(Oh, and her brothers ADORE her. Even Grant who I was worried about, shares his cars and airplanes with her. It's adorable!)
10 comments:
That's awesome Robyn. I'm glad it went so well. She sure is cute!
Good luck settling into reality! :)
SO awesome, Robyn! That is so wonderful that your labor and delivery went so smoothly! Makes you want a few more, huh??? :)
And like I've mentioned before, I was totally emotional and worried while pregnant with Cohen. I had so much anxiety about everything, and had a nice breakdown the night before having him. Even that morning, as I was laying on the operating room table, being draped, it didn't seem real. I truly felt like I was in a dream! But as soon as I heard my sweet baby cry, I was in heaven, and crying my eyes out. I just felt so relieved. So I TOTALLY get the worry thing that you were feeling with Cora...even if there was no real reason to worry, it just happens. I get that.
Congratulations again! I'm so happy for you guys!
So glad that everything went well! Congrats! She is adorable!
Yay for good labors!! (why do we love hearing labor stories so much?) And yay for good babies! She is soooo beautiful. Congratulations again...I'm so happy for you guys!
Congratulations!!! She is a doll! I'm glad the labor went so well!
I'm glad everything went smoothly and you are recovering quickly. Enjoy your baby girl!
Congrats - she's SUPER cute!
How sweet! Glad that it was such a great experience for you!
Ohhh she is sooo cute!!! Congrats! and I hope I can come and see her sometime!! :D
Hooray! A sweet little girl. And I love the name, Cora Lily. Love it!
Post a Comment