Sunday, March 15, 2009

Canning Butter...yes, canning butter!

This is AWESOME! I didn't even imagine being this was possible until Christmas when Silas bought be this great cookbook: The Essential Food Storage Cookbook by Tami Girsberger and Carool Peterson.
So my BFF Chette and I had a fun afternoon canning butter a few weeks ago...and here's how it went.
First you need BUTTER. I got mine on sale for $1.24 a pound which is a GREAT deal. A Wal-Mart it is normally over $2 a pound.
Next, you need canning JARS. A little less than one pound fits in a pint jar, but we also used half-pints.
HEAT jars in the oven at 200 degrees.

Boil jar lids and rings.
Melt butter on MEDIUM heat.
Here is some all melted...

Use a hot pad to remove warm jar from oven. Using a funnel, pour the melted butter into warm jar. Place boiled lid and ring on jar. Set aside.

This is the best part. Jars will seal BY THEMSELVES within a few minutes. Leave them alone until they reach room temperature.

Once your jar is at room temperature, place in the refridgerator. Every 20 mintues for one hour, shake the jar. This will prevent the butter from seperating. Once the hour is up, your canned butter should be solidified or close to that. Remove from fridge and place in a cool, dry place. Shelf life: 2 years.
(My cookbook says that they have some that's 6 years old and it's still good.)
This is our load. We canned 12 pounds of butter and we got 9 pints 10 half-pints total.


8 comments:

ShellyH said...

wow, I never knew you could can butter! I am going to bookmark your blog and give it a try. I like to can my own veggies, jams, jellies and fruit butters but never tried canning regular butter.

Unknown said...

That's awesome! The self sealing part is my favorite! I'll have to try it if I find a good deal on butter. Thanks, Robyn! Let me know if there is anything else cool in that book!

Kizzie said...

Um, awesome. we just bought 11 or 12 pounds on sale too, and I might just have to can it. Does canning give it a longer shelf life than freezing? I love canning. a lot. so I might have to do this even if it's the same shelf life. I'm a little excited.

Jana said...

Wow, aren't you just little miss homemaker-food-storage-preparedness lady?

Meredith said...

Wow! You're such an amazing food storage woman! I can't believe, and would have never thought that you could can butter!!!

Jill said...

ew yuck! well you'll be surviving and I'll be thinking remember when butter was on sale... That's so fun, I'm gonna have to get a pressure cooker.

Hoylelicious said...

You canned butter???? That sounds CRAZY!!! Let us know how it is when you use it. Look at you, you little homemaker you.

kristen said...

Robyn, you are my HERO. Seriously. Can I come live by you so you can teach me how to can stuff? You're awesome. When the weather is nicer I need to come visit you in Cedar. Like the good old days. Miss you!