Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Nov 27-30

Sunday, November 27th-

Silas is so great! He was the only member of the Bishopric today but he seemed to handle it really well. Earlier in the week he was overwhelmed by the fact that he would be alone but Sunday came and he was ok. I love him! He is a good example to me and to the kids.

Monday, November 28th-

It is so great to have older kids. I mean, there are some things that are hard like how much good they eat, how much more it costs to cloth them and have them in activities and lessons, not to mention the pre-teen sassy-ness, but today I've thought about the great parts!

When Cleod walked home today I was napping. It has been super cold but we live so close to the school that it takes just as long or longer to drive to pick him up in the traffic. (Plus, he prefers to walk.) I didn't realize it was snowing. He got home and told me his hands were cold but didn't complain about having to walk. He took Molly downstairs with him so I slept a little longer (just super tired today) and then started working on his book report. What a good boy!

Then I asked him to grab my keys and start the van so I could go pick up the other kids from the elementary school. He tried to put my new slip-on shoes on but they didn't fit! They were too small! Haha. So he put his flip-flops on and ran out in the cold to turn on my van. It was nice and warm waiting for kiddos today thanks to Cleod!

Also, just the fact that I could leave Molly with him in the warm house while I left to get kids makes life so much easier!

Today at lunch Silas and I were chatting about life insurance because we just got approved for an increase through his work (which is a big deal because of Silas's health issues). As we chatted I mentioned that if something happened to me, it would be more manageable for him to deal with the kids because Cleod and Ryan are old enough to be helpful with the younger kids. It's not really something we like to talk about or even think about, but having older kids makes thinking of those things a little different.

Tuesday, November 29th-

Some days I want to go back to my 25 year old self and say, “Enjoy this moment!” Other moms with bigger kids said it to me a few times back then but I thought I was so stressed and busy with 3 little boys and a husband in school and working full-time. And it was stressful and there was a lot going on...but I do wish I had enjoyed it more.

The stress and busy we have now doesn't really compare. There is more to do with less time. There are more activities and more homework. There is more laundry and more dishes and more groceries. But there are also less diapers and crying. There is *usually* more hands to help out. Haha.

I feel like I am always catching up. And that's ok because that's just how it is going to work right now...but some times it's super hard. Silas tries to be helpful but he is busy with work and his calling.

Now that I think of it, I probably will think when I am 40 that I wish that I had enjoyed this time more fully. As the kids start leaving home, I will wish for the days that they were all home with me. I will miss the fingerprints and garage full of bikes and scooters.

So...self: "Enjoy this moment!"

Wednesday, November 30th-

Today the kids had their 6 month check-up at the dentist. It went really well. Molly was amazing during her x-rays but was a little sassy while she was getting her teeth cleaned. Cora was really funny. When she went over to get her x-rays, she picked up the vest thing and put it on herself. The dental assistant said something I couldn't hear and then Cora replied: "I've been here a thousand times!"

X-Ray time!
We only had one real cavity- in poor Granty. Ryan has a little one but it's in a tooth that is going to come out soon. Cleod needs a couple of teeth pulled because the new ones are coming in and they aren't loose at all. This is normal for him. Most of his teeth have had to be pulled by the dentist for the same reason. So Grant and Cleod will be back in 2 weeks to take care of those things. Not too bad considering I had all five kids checked!
Dentist!!!
Being silly at DQ
Mom enjoying her treat with the crazies
Cute Molly
Piled on Mom to watch football
We went out for ice cream afterward and then did our normal piano, scouts and now MUTUAL for Cleod. Weird. It was nice not to have to do papers today, although we did kind of miss it.

While Cleod was at mutual the rest of us watched football and Studio C. Good night!

No comments: