Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Easters

Saturday, March 26th-

This morning the boys went outside to see if they could find any eggs that were missed last night during the Easter egg hunt. Some of the neighbor girls had already been out there so Cleod was only able to find one egg with a few pieces of candy. I had to babysit and the gym and was chatting with him through text. He sent me a picture of the candy from his one egg and a text that said, "Look at all the candy I found." I wrote him back that I was sorry and would give him some extra Easter candy when I got home. He wrote me back that he wasn't being sarcastic but that he was really happy with what he found.

Cleod is a complicated boy. He can sometimes be hard for me to figure out and deal with, but he is one of the nicest boys I know. I am so grateful for him and all the help he is to me and to his siblings.

Random Cleod quote of the month:  "I have never seen a buffalo in my whole life!"


Sunday, March 27th-

What a day!

 
Easter baskets

Waiting for breakfast
Silas made sure he didn't have meetings this morning so we slept in, which NEVER happens on Sundays for us. The kids and I prepared a pan of Resurrection rolls last night and put them in the fridge so Cleod put breakfast in the oven. Love having big kids.
 

A Resurrection Roll that really looks
like the empty tomb!
While we waited for the rolls to bake, the kids hunted for their Easter baskets. We don't do Easter bunny but Silas and I get something useful for the kids along with some candy. This year we got them notebooks and mechanical pencils.
 
So Silas hides the baskets and we play the hot and cold game until they all find their baskets. They were really happy about their baskets.  
 
After breakfast, the kids put on their own egg hunt while Silas and I got ready for the day. They used their own eggs and were all super nice to each other. Ryan even hid an empty egg to symbolize the empty tomb. He is very sensitive to the real meaning of Easter.
 
In the late morning Silas and I went to the hospital to visit a sister in the ward who is in the ICU. She was sleeping but we visits with her daughter and had a good visit. And after church one of our neighbors asked if we wanted some good because they had so much left from Easter dinner so Silas and I took the food to a family that has been struggling.
 
Molly and I during the egg dying
Our first sacrament with Silas on the stand was interesting, but not necessarily because Dad wasn’t with us. I performed “O My Father” to the song “Homeward Bound.” I have been working really hard on it and it just happened that the music person asked me to do it this week. I arranged for Ina and Jay to sit with us so that Cora and Molly would have someone while I was singing. It was really nice of them to be so willing to do that...even though it didn’t exactly turn out the way I wanted it to. As the speaker before my song was ending her talk I was trying to get Molly to sit down. She was standing in front of me and I needed to stand up soon. When it was my turn, I started to stand and move her but ended up bonking her head into the pew in front of us. She didn’t really cry but I knew that she wouldn’t stay with anyone at that point. She’s super stubborn that way. So I ended up having to take her with me and handing her over to Silas. It was a little embarrassing and Amber reminded me later that I totally sighed into the microphone before starting. The musical number ended up fine, but I was disappointed a little because I have been preparing this song for months and I didn’t want it to be just fine.
 

Dying eggs
Silas had to stay after church for a couple hours. While he was gone, our home teachers came to visit. The kids were a little silly, especially the girls. Grant even quoted Nacho Libre and told our elderly home teacher that he had diarrhea since Easters. Good grief.

We had some good family time today though. We dyed eggs before bed. It's always fun to see what the kids do with their eggs. Cleod was very patient, trying to dye his  eggs just right. The other boys were also trying really hard to dye their eggs with more than one color. Cora just plopped her eggs in whatever and Molly didn't want to dye eggs at all. Haha.
 
To finish the night off, we had the missionaries stop by to talk to Silas and a friend from the ward stopped by with goodies and we chatted for a while. I was a crazy, busy, awesome day.

 

No comments: